Tuesday, March 4, 2014

C'est Qui? C'est Romain, Paris et Miracles!

Bonjour!  I hope you've all had a great week!  It's been another great week here in Rouen and I found out I'll get to have another awesome six weeks here with Elder Johnson!  Yesterday marked the first day of the new transfer and we found out that we will have a new companionship of sisters in Rouen for a total of 6 missionaries here!  The work is moving forward!  This week was full of awesome experiences and I hope I can write and do justice to them in this email.

First, our new converts, Romain and Ezechias.  We were able to teach them both last week and they are doing great!  We decided that we were going to talk to Romain about taking his earring out.  We've been worried about it but finally thought of using "For the Strength of the Youth" booklet.  We introduced it to him and explained how it helped us and so we read a few areas together.  We started with "Dress and Modesty". It talks about having short hair, dressing modestly, no piercings for men or tatoos because our body is a temple.  We both sat on the edge of our seat watching Romain as we read but at the end he said, "Wow, so I need to take out my earring and do I need to cut my hair? because if I do, just tell me."  There is a phrase at the end of this section that we asked him to pose to himself.  It says, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord's presence?"  After we read that he said, "I need to cut my hair!"  We were in shock.  He took it so well and showed us how ready he is to continue to accept the Gospel and its teachings.

Fast forward to Sunday...After priesthood we saw this man.  He was dressed in a white shirt, tie and I thought, "We need to go talk to him!"  As we got closer we realized that it was Romain!  He had shaved his head, beard and was dressed in a white shirt, tie and dress pants and had some awesome glasses on! Throughout the day members kept introducing themselves...thinking he was a new investigator.  He was able to pass the Sacrament and Ezechias blessed it.  Such an awesome sight to see.  During testimonies Ezechias bore his testimony and spoke of his conversion.  He is now teaching a lady a couple times a week about the Gospel!  If a new member of 2 months can share the Gospel like that I'm sure we all can.  I'm so lucky to see these two people grow and change and find peace in the Gospel over the last few months.  On Sunday watching them bless and pass the sacrament was one of the best moments I can recall.  Baptism is just the beginning and I can hardly wait to see them grow and one day go through the temple with them.
The New Romain

On Tuesday we were in Paris for the day.  Before our train left to come home a few of us decided to go get dinner.  There is a Panini place where you can get a panini, drink and crepe for only 4.50 euros and it is right next to Notre Dame.  As we were waiting to order a man made eye contract with me and so I said, "Ca va?" Who would have guessed where that would lead.  Marc is from Haiti and left 4 years ago when his house and everything he owned was destroyed by the earthquake.  He's been in France for about a year and a half and was converted to the Christian religion because he found it gave him a lot of peace and hope in today's troubled world.  As we talked we told him about how we have found peace in Christ and his teachings, especially through the scriptures.  We gave him a Book of Mormon and asked if we could read Moroni's promise and then we prayed right there.  He wanted to learn more so we got his information and were able to get him in contact with the missionaries in Paris.  (None other than Elder Davis, my trainer)  I can't wait to see how it goes.  He ate with us and we were able to talk for about another 45 minutes.  Pretty amazing how people are put in our path, are prepared and often all it takes is a "Ca va or How are you?"  The Lord will do the rest!

One day, before lunch, we contacted a man by the name of Charles.  He said he was an atheist but had read the Coran (Bible) and meets with the JW's every other week.  He used to be Protestant.  When we asked what happened he explained he had been in the military.  Because of the things that happen in the world and the wars he had decided there was no God.  We continued to talk and invited him to read the Book of Mormon.  He loves to read and we thought it could help him.  We set up another rendez-vous for the next morning.  When we met him he said he was sorry that he hadn't had much time to read and had only read the first 54 pages.  Woah...that's a lot we assured him and he said he liked it and it interested him a lot.  We asked if he had prayed before he read but he said no.  We invited him to pray and testified that we knew he would know it was true by the Spirit.  He said to call in 3 or 4 days so he could finish reading it.  I can't wait to teach him this week!

And last, but not least, we went to the Musee cex beaux arts and Museum of Iron Works after emails last week.  It was cool and we saw a few of Monet's paintings.  In Paris on Tuesday I was able to see the Sacre Coeur.  Wow, that thing is huge and amazing!  I also saw the Notre Dame and went inside to see a service. Paris is amazing and a gorgeous city with so much to see.  I recommend it to everyone with a side trip to Rouen, of course!

Yesterday (that's why I emailed today instead of yesterday)we were able to build furniture for a new apartment for the new sisters who get here on Wednesday.  We went to Ikea and other stores to get it ready.  Now it's ready and is an awesome apartment!

Tonight we are going to the branch President's home to pray with his family and go porting in their neighborhood.  There are lots of young families and we are hoping and praying we will have success tonight and bring a young family closer to Christ!

Thanks for the emails, prayers and support.  I'm so grateful for the chance I have to be here and invite people to come unto Christ.  That wouldn't be possible without all of you.  Have a great week!  Until next Monday...
Love,  Elder Player
Sacre Couer
Overlooking Paris from the Sacre Couer
Our District
Notre Dame
Inside the Notre Dame
Rouen Missionaries
2 more sister missionaries are arriving on Wednesday




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful letter! And I love the picture of Romain! Chase is doing such a wonderful job of being a good example and teacher. So proud of him!!!

    ReplyDelete